Soring is illegal; the damage to this horse's pastern can be clearly seen. And, although legal, this is clearly an unnatural way to shoe a horse.
For more information about the national effort to understand the prevalence of these practices, and to stop them, use these related links.
- FOSH Facebook page Friends of Sound Horses (FOSH)
- General information about the Friends of Sound Horses organization www.fosh.info
- National Compilation of material regarding the soring issue Welcome to Stop Soring
- Find the articles are under "News" Stop Soring - News and Events - News
- National Data base of soring violations www.hpadata.us
- Links to the official USDA site for HPA suspensions, 7060s, and HPA federal cases www.hpadata.us
- American Veterinary Medical Assoctian (AVMA): Soring Horses: Unethical Practice Making Horses Suffer
- American Association (of) Equine Practitioners ( AAEP): Position on the Practice of Soring
- Now That's A Walking Horse! grant and reward program sponsored by the HSUS. For more information about the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) efforts to end soring
If you need helping with drafting a letter to an elected official, these guides can help.
Undercover video of World Grand Champion and Walking Horse Hall of Fame trainer Jackie McConnell and his assistants, all of whom are from Tennessee and were abusing performance horses during the training process, shocks the world.
Walking and spotted saddle horse trainer Barney Davis of Tennessee talks to Keith Dane of the HSUS about how common soring is in the training process of performance/big lick horses. Davis went to prison for his activities in the show horse world.